Greg Norman is ignoringas a “mistake” has been condemned by the fiancée of the late Washington Post columnist.
The former No. 1 golfer is leading a series ofin England and has been criticized for his comments on Khashoggi’s gruesome death on October 2, 2018 at the Saudi Arabian Consulate in Istanbul.
“Look, we’ve all made mistakes and you just want to learn from those mistakes and how you can correct them in the future,” the 67-year-old Norman said Wednesday at an event to promote the tournaments.
The Australian highlighted “how good the country is doing in changing its culture.”
Khashoggi, who had written criticism of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, had entered the consulate to collect the necessary documents to marry his Turkish fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, and never came out.
Cengiz told the Telegraph newspaper on Thursday that Norman’s comments were “very hurtful”.
“Would you say that if it was your loved one? How can we move forward when those who ordered the murder remain unpunished and are still trying to regain their legitimacy?” Cengiz said. “We must not fall for their riches and lies, and lose our morals and our common humanity. We must all insist on truth and justice; only then can we look forward with hope and dignity.”
Cengiz’s statement was published by his lawyer, Rodney Dixon, the British newspaper reported. Dixon’s office did not immediately respond to an email from The Associated Press.
Turkish officials said Khashoggi was killed and dismembered with a bone saw inside the consulate by a team of Saudi agents. The group included people who worked for the crown prince’s office. His remains have not been found.
Western intelligence agencies and the US Congress said an operation of such magnitude could not have occurred without the crown prince’s knowledge.
“I haven’t had a personal conversation with MBS, I’ve never met the guy, but at the same time I read that the Saudi government has made their statements and comments about it and wants to move on,” Norman said. .
Australian golfer Karrie Webb, who as a child idolized Norman, took to Twitter to express her criticism.
“The girl in me just died well and truly!! Has someone’s childhood hero let them down as much as I do now-?” Webb wrote Thursday.
Norman is the CEO of LIV Golf Investments, funded primarily by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund.
The inaugural LIV Golf Invitational is scheduled for June 9-11 at Centurion Golf Club outside London, with a field of 48 players vying for a $20 million purse over 54 holes. The winner receives $4 million, to date the largest prize in golf, and last place receives $120,000.
Last month, a Turkish court upheld the suspension of the.
A Turkish court launched the trial in 2020 with relations strained between the two regional Sunni Muslim powers. But with Turkey desperate for investment to help it out of the economic crisis, Ankara has tried to bridge the gap with Riyadh.
Cengiz, who was present at the hearing, said he would appeal the decision.
Turkey “is not ruled by a family like in Saudi Arabia. We have a justice system that deals with complaints from citizens,” he told reporters outside Istanbul’s main court. “We will appeal the decision in accordance with our legal system.”
Speaking to AFP, he promised to “keep fighting. He who gives up has given up. I will continue. Sometimes the legal battle itself is more important than the results.”
AFP contributed to this report.